Home >> Ancestry
In this page we look at the histories of the places mentioned in the Genealogy Charts of the De Fonseka families and the rest of the Varnakula Addittiya Arasanilayitta families. We also attempt to trace the present whereabouts of the towns or villages mentioned in these documents.
From the evidence collected so far it seems that the De Fonsekas and one branch of the D'Anderado family settled in Kalutara North, while the Lowe, De Rowel, Thamel and Tissera families settled in an around Kammala, an area stretching from Negombo to Chilaw, but were mostly concentrated around Marawila, a town halfway between these two.
One branch of the D'anderado family settled in Jaffna, but no details are available of their descendents. Don Manuel D'anderado also was resident in Jaffna as Sabandaar after the seige and capture of the fort by the Dutch in 1658. The other properties of the families were mainly in Colombo, but here we focus only on the Ancestral Towns and Villages.
‘K’ is for Kalutara :
connection between Manuel d’Anderado and Kalutara in 1656, stated in the
ancestry page could be the earliest link made between a De Fonseka and Kalutara.
As it is seen, Manuel d’ Anderado was guarding the Pass at Kalutara, the Pass
most probably a reference to a crossing in the river at Kalutara. Don Michael De
Fonseka (1658), married his daughter Dominga d’Anderado.
Kalutara Fort as depicted by Baldaeus
Early Map of the Fort
The Kalutara Fort has been very active during the Dutch period, and has been situated to the south of the present temple.
It can be noted with interest that many De Fonseka properties in Kalutara, were strategically placed to the north of the river', bordering the old road which ended up at the ferry crossing and the new road which led to the famous Kalutara bridge. Even the island in the middle of the river, connecting the two bridges of Kalutara, once belonged to a De Fonseka. Much could be learned by a study of these properties, and how it was handed down over the generations. At present most of these properties are part of the commercial hub of Kalutara. See the Photo Gallery page for more details of these properties.
'Island in the Stream' - Story of
'Early Dutch Prints of Kalutara' - Diyambetalawa story continued.
The Story of Marawila:
Marawila came into existence when WAA Prancikku Lowe moved with his family into 560 acres of fertile forest halfway between Negombo and Chilaw in the late 18th century. He was the son of Lowe Mahakorala of Mattakotuwa. Prancikku Lowe is from the illustrious Warnakula Adittya Arasanilayitta (WAA) clan. Arasanilayitta means possessing kingly status. The Lowes in common with de Fonsekas, d'Anderados, de Rowels, Tamels, and Tisseras possess this clan name. It is probable that these families come from a common ancestor, but took different surnames during the time of the Portuguese occupation. Prancikku Lowe had six children and their children intermarried to give the present day Karawa population of Marawila. The Genealogy charts give some examples of how closely related the people of Marawila are.
A Dutch Map showing the Kammala area, including Negambo, Marawila, Chilaw and Thambarawila..